Friday, December 24, 2010

The Original "Material Girl"


Do you LOVE the feel and smell of material (especially "good" fabric) or is it just me?

I remember hearing Madonna's song "Material Girl" when I was a young child in elementary school, and thinking that she was really on to something! I thought that she was snubbing boys for bolts of fabric!!!  LOL! 

I have ALWAYS been a sewer at heart - I can just imagine all the fun things I would do with a great print, color, or texture of fabric (minkee fabric is one of my absolute faves!)  I'm not sure if it started when I used to play with scraps from my mom's sewing projects as a kid, or what, but I have always really liked to sew.  Before I could sew, I would glue or even tape the fabric together.

I would watch "Pretty in Pink" over and over again when I was older, not so much for the story line, but because I wanted to see Andie Walsh (Molly Ringwald's character) create her perfect prom dress from the castoffs she was given (the ultimate and original upcycler!)


I notice that my 5 (soon to be 6) year old daughter, Theresa, is the same way.  She knows she can't just take fabric out of my drawers or off the cutting table, but anything in the sewing room trash can (that I purposely do NOT use for anything else) is all hers.  She will snip "fringe" to make blankets for her dolls, or cut a hole from the center, slip it onto a Barbie, and tie it around the middle with ribbon to make a make-shift shirt.  She has also glued on embellishments, and now will even pin it, and we will sew things together!  Ahhh...the fun of raising the next "material girl!" :)

Theresa in her first skirt - cut and sewn with MINIMAL help from me! I'm a proud mama!!!

1 comment:

  1. Michelle, Had to smile with this posting. My daughter was raised on MTV. She loved Madonna and thought 'Material Girl' as me! I won't even go into the questions that came up about Madonna's other songs. :) I think it's great that your daughter has already completed a sewing project. I used to raid my mom's tiny stash of fabric and the 'rag bin' to make doll clothes. I had to sew everything by hand then and as I got older, secretly started using her sewing machine. I am definately self-taught. My senior year in high school I took a Senior Sewing class and learned a lot. I haven't stopped since.

    ReplyDelete