Thursday, December 23, 2010

2011: THE GREAT DE-STASH!!!

So, my goal for 2011 is (are you ready for this?)


To NOT buy a single piece of fabric, pattern (even on-line), embroidery design for the ENTIRE year.
And, to finish a UFO each and every month.  That's in addition to the projects that I know I will find it necessary to make (several friends having babies, a daughter who loves clothes I make her, and a small business on the side that keeps me busy)  But, I'm still going  to do it without purchasing ANYTHING new.


Here are the rules I've established for myself:

1.  I cannot buy fabric (even if it is required to finish a project), patterns, embroidery designs, or other "main" items but I CAN barter for them (you'll have to wait for more info on this later)


2.  I CAN purchase NECESSARY notions (thread, buttons, zippers, snaps, etc) but IF AND ONLY IF I don't have something in my stash that will suffice (and I probably do)


3.  NO purchasing of embellishments, adornments, etc because I own an embroidery machine, tons of ribbons, buttons, etc that will work just as well as store-bought items.


4.  I can SELL anything extra I make, but still can't use the $$$ to buy anything (I'm saving for a craft room makeover, as I need French Doors, since the room is so "open")


5.  I'm limiting myself to $100 for the YEAR to purchase what I NEED (see #2) and that's all.  Sadly, I could probably drop $100 in one shopping trip if I really wanted to, so that's also a real challenge.


6.  Because I'm not doing this for greed, I will donate 10% of any money I make selling the items, and at least 10% of what I create to one of my favorite charities. (I can, and probably will, donate large scraps of fabric to my local chapter of Project Linus - they take cotton and fleece 6.5" square or larger)



7.  I will also do all of this while working full-time, being a mom, digitizing and testing embroidery designs for
my business (http://shellbugdesigns.goods.officelive.com) and have fun doing it! :)


My ultimate goal?

To decrease my stash by 75% (hey, a girl's gotta have SOMETHING to look through), to finish all of my UFO's, and to get to enjoy all of my purchases from years past.

I'll keep you posted along the way, share my tips and tricks, and allow you to barter for items in order for me to be able to finish the current project.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Michelle, that's a lot of goals. I don't thi nk I could not buy one embroidery design or any fabric for a whole year. I'm definately not letting my hubby see this blog. He say 'If she can do it, so can you'. He made the comment last night that even when I trying to be good, I can't go a month without charging something to the credit card. Heck, I feel like I'm doing good if I can keep my embroidery design purchases under $50 in a month. I am trying though to really cut back on emb. design purchases. I need to start stitching out what I have but I may need to buy thread :) I may try to go along with you on your goal somewhat. I have a big stash of fabric and I need to start stitching. I just cut a ton of solid color flannel to make burp cloths and I have boxes and boxes of print flannel for the back. I'm going to start working on making burps for gifts. I also have some fabric to make window toppers. I'll have to get muslin for backing but I don't consider that 'stash buying'. I also want to try making roman blinds. I'll look thru the stash and see if I have fabric for the decorative side and get what I need from there. Do you think we should post pictures of what we used from our stash? Maybe a before and after picture of our rooms and/or stash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It IS a lot of goals, but trust me, I have a LOT of stuff LOL! :)
    I also buy tons of designs AND I digitize, and they don't take up "real" room, but I need to get them organized, too, so I should add that to my "to do" list! (or maybe that can be my goal for 2012, just to get my designs organized!)

    I totally agree, to post pics (before/after) and of the projects we create - can't wait to see what others are making as well!

    I also want to add tips, tutorials, and other fun stuff, so stay tuned! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pictures are a must!!! This should be fun to watch...and participate in!

    ReplyDelete