Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Introduction :)

Hi! I'm Michelle Brown, math teacher by trade, mom of 3 wonderful blessings, and sewing/craft/machine embroidery enthusiast (or OVER-enthusiast if I'm brutally honest!)

I have probably NEEDED to destash for awhile, but it became most apparent before baby #3 (Sebastian) was born, as we had to convert the guest bedroom/office to a bedroom for the oldest to give Sebastian a room nearer to ours.  That meant that MY craft room (formerly a room off of the entryway) had to share with the office.  Give up 50% of my room for the baby?  Okay.....

Luckily, we have a storage room over the garage that's accessible from the inside of the house.  And, by room, I mean an entire room (un-airconditioned, but still a room)  So, I moved SEVERAL large plastic crates into it, sold a bit at a garage sale, and crammed as much into the remaining space as I could.

Still, each time I want to create something new, it is like a mini-explosion of fabric scraps, thread, patterns, and more all over the space.  And since it is the first space you see upon entering the house, it creates a bit of stress for DH whenever people come over.  Sometimes, it looks like my craft room vomited all over :(

I have TRIED to argue that messy people are the most creative, but he isn't buying it.  Honestly, he has been really great recently, not really saying anything, but today, even I had to admit it was a "bit" much. 

I went to the storage building to get a piece of fabric I just KNEW was in there.  I went through several boxes of fabric and notions, not so much because I couldn't find what I went there for (what DID I go there for now???) but because there were so many other "long-forgotten" treasures that I soon became engrossed in opening up all the boxes.

Dreaming of new and old projects...the jumper for my daughter, blankets for my son, pillowcases for the nephews, and bibs for babies who were now entering kindergarten....

...fabric that I purchased with THE project in mind, or because I liked the color, or the texture, or the price.....

You get the picture.  And, if you are like me, and have a bit of an "addiction" to fabric, sewing supplies, and craft items, then you're probably following along wondering, "So what's the problem?"

The problem is that, even at age 33, if I live to be 100, I will NEVER (and I mean NEVER) be able to make all of my UFOs (that's Unfinished Objects for those of you without the addiction), or finish close to a third of my "grand ideas."

Why?  Because each time I start something, or even finish something, I want to try something entirely new, and so off to the fabric store I go, and then, I see something EVEN BETTER, and so the cycle continues.  Never ending really...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle, I guess I'm the first to post to your blog. I know what you mean about too much fabric and trying to store it without over running the house. Been there and done that. We built a new home 3 1/2 years ago and we converted 2 large bedrooms into one large sewing room for me. Sounds good, huh? Can you see where this is going.... My issue is that we only live there part time as it is our retirement home. But both hubby & I were laid off mid year and we did a mass move of stuff up to the new house because we thought we were going to move there permanently. Hubby go a new job so we didn't move except most of my sewing room is at the house we aren't in the most. I find that I have to haul things back and forth and when I want to make something, part of what I need is at the other house. One of these days, hubby is going to come home to an empty house (and empty what's left of my sewing room) and he'll have to drive to visit me at our retirement house. He may find that I've taken over his office area and any other room I can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee Michelle...we must be TWINS! Same ole story. I think I might try some of your goals...good luck!

    ReplyDelete