Saturday, January 15, 2011

American Girl Dolls

Theresa turned 6 this past Tuesday, and for her birthday, she really wanted one of the 18" American Girl Dolls (she already has the 15" Bitty Twins) that looks like her. So, there is an American Girl Doll store in the Dallas Galleria, and we just happened to have to go to Dallas last weekend for a friend's wedding, so it seemed like the perfect way to celebrate!

It was an amazing (and amazingly crowded) place!!! Two stories of shopping for dolls, clothes, accessories, even a beauty salon, ear piercing, and bistro to "lunch" with your doll! We skipped hair and lunch (over an hour wait!!!) but DID get the doll's ear pierced to match Theresa, and shopped for the doll and 4 outfits.


But...it was also pretty pricey! Not bad in lieu of a party, but not something I can afford to buy often.

What's a mom who can sew to do??? Find good (and simple patterns!)

So, that was my mission this morning! Yes, I KNOW you can buy them in stores (and I do have them) but I honestly don't enjoy the tissue-thin pattern paper, so I wanted something from an e-book.

I came across this site, which offers inexpensive ($3.99/pattern) and FREE patterns, so I'm sharing it with you!

http://www.libertyjanepatterns.com/search/label/FREE%20SAMPLE%20GUIDEBOOK

I have NOT tried them out, but that is my goal.

Right now, Theresa wants a wrap-top sundress for her doll to resemble the 2011 American Girl of the Year doll, Kanani (http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/html/item/id/172848/ctc/XSCOORD) - a girl from Hawaii. They would NOT sell the dress separately, and since Theresa doesn't look like Kanani, she didn't want the doll. So, she told me I could "make" her one! (that's what I get for telling her I wouldn't buy anything from the store I could "make")!

One more project for the list, AND I am going to need some Hawaiian print fabric......

No comments:

Post a Comment